Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Grinding my gears

I'm quite angry at this moment in time. I only have a single internet connection this summer and unfortunately, it is a Government of Northwest Territories connection. So apparently every connection signal travels to Yellowknife and then returns to Inuvik. This means they are monitoring everything, which I'm sure is a good idea and is not new to those of you who work in the government. So I posted videos via YouTube which is now blocked (I can understand this one because watching the videos sucks a lot of bandwidth), I can't listen to CBC Radio 3 or even read the blog because the site is blocked (again I can understand the internet radio thing), but when it crosses the line is blocking ports so that I can't use MSN. This is the primary way in which I keep contact with people. What the fuck! And in my situation, it's not like I can just go home and log on to MSN there, this is the ONLY connection I have all summer. This is bullshit. I am pretty confident every single thing I do on the internet (Facebook, my fantasy baseball on Yahoo! and probably even this blog will be shutdown within a matter of days. If that happens I am going to starting taking names and kicking ass. I understand the reasoning behind it, and maybe my e-mail to the tech guys in Yellowknife will work, but if not, looks like I've got e-mail to keep in touch with people. Apologies if I don't get a chance to talk to anyone until September.

I realize this is completely lame on my part. I should be able to get by without MSN for 4 months and I will probably have to suck it up and do so. Maybe it will be refreshing and put an end to some time wasting. It's just that with the whole living alone until the end of June thing and then all of August, I get pretty bored and I'm a people person so being able to chat with friends is always nice. We'll see how this shakes down in the next few days.

In other news, I just paid $8 for a 2L carton of milk. I think that is expensive, but I'm not really sure. Anyone care to let me know what the going rate for milk is in Ottawa or elsewhere? In fact post a bunch of items and their prices and I will find out how much they are here, that'll be fun. Perhaps I will take some pictures in the supermarket, but seeing how this summer is going, it will be confiscated.

Sens lost last night, rough game. Hopefully they will be able to pull it together on Wednesday now that they have an idea of how Anaheim is going to be playing. Fingers crossed.

I only need to wear one thermal shirt underneath my Windstopper jacket on my bike ride to and from town. That must be a sure sign it is warming up finally. Ice is still on the lake though:

Thanks for letting me vent.

G'night.

1 comment:

abc said...

Yeah, $8 for 2L of milk is pretty expensive. Wal-Mart sells 4L bags for $4. A loaf of boring bread costs $2. A chocolate bar is $1. A bottle of coke costs $2 tops. Apples at Wal-Mart are $1 a pound (I think that was the price, or is it $1/kg?)

Sorry to hear about the internet connection problems. Remember, you can also communicate with the outside world via postcards!