Friday, June 22, 2007

Where there is smoke...

We all know how that proverb ends. In fact I know all too well, because it messed up my plans for Aboriginal Day. Bummer. Actually I'm not too disappointed because instead of stuffing my face with caribou and muktuk (dried whale), I was able to land a job as an EFF or emergency fire fighter. Seriously, I was hired on the spot. Best job interview ever.

Thursday is a territorial holiday, so most people were off work except the fire crew. I had been out until 1 AM on Wednesday at my research site (nicknamed Blueberry) setting up some electronics, so I had slept in and came into the office around 11:30. My boss was about to head into town when the Batphone (the fire line) rang and there was a report of smoke north of town. So he went by to check it out and it was indeed a fire. The crews were scrambled (just like fighter jets) and the helicopters took off from the base. All very exciting. On Friday we were supposed to be doing a fuel moisture experiment so while everyone in the office took on fire roles, I was left to get things ready for the next day. That took until about 5. By this time the fire was going pretty good and the firefighters were still out. I suppose I still could have gone into town to go to the feast, but I chose to stick around and see if I could be of help around the base. I went into town at 8 to play some frisbee and I guess it was a holiday because no one really showed up. I was able to throw for a bit with a guy I met from Simon Fraser who is in Inuvik for the summer, so that was good. I think it was because of the holiday so hopefully there will be more of a game next week. I'm going to dominate.

That night I had another slo-pitch game and we ended up 10-running the other team. I went 4 for 4 with 3 runs scored. It was a pretty decent game for me. Next game Sunday, looking to keep my .909 BA intact.

Then on Friday morning, the fire outside town was still burning, so I got to head out and map the perimeter with some of the firefighters and then come back and download the data. Then a huge storm came rolling in and there was a reported fire up near Tuktoyuktuk, on the coast. I was asked to head out in a fixed wing (Cessna 207) to do a smoke patrol which involved locating the fire, and describing its action as well as mapping it. On the way to EV-003 (each number is assigned a name in sequential order) another fire was called in, and we were diverted to check on that one. So I ended up being in the plane for a couple of hours. When I returned, another fire was reported down south, fortunately the water bombers had just arrived so they were dispatched along with another fire crew to fight that fire. There were also a large number of lightning strikes happening, so my boss said "Greg, you did a good job on the last smoke patrol, I'm going to hire you as an EFF and you are going to go out and do another smoke patrol tonight." I was like, yes please. So I just returned from another two hours in the plane, fortunately with no fires sited.

So it's been a busy couple of days. I will try to get some fire pictures up here in the next few days (I think I am allowed, but I'll have to check).

I was also keeping tabs on the NHL draft that was happening today. I did it via Jay Onrait's blog on TSN. The guy is hilarious. I encourage everyone to read it. Random thoughts about the draft:

1. Looks like the Leafs are finished with Redlight Raycroft. I thought it actually looked like a good deal for the Leafs at first. That was until a number of top-rated players in the draft slid past the position the Leafs would have drafted in if they had kept their pick. Average age of Leafs players...rising.

2. I love the new Washington Capitals jerseys.

3. Jim Balsillie is an idiot. So what if everyone knows you are thinking about moving the team, wait until you own it before you start selling season tickets in Hamilton. Now he probably won't even get the Preds. Dumb.

Steve Kokelj is in town tomorrow and Trevor arrives Monday and with all these fires and a short crew, there is lots of stuff to do around here. Looks like I won't be bored ever again.

May the force be with you.

No comments: